UNORTHODOX: not conforming to rules, traditions or modes of conduct REVOLUTIONARY: sudden, complete or marked change

Monday, May 28, 2012

Sing Against the Masses


My devotion this morning really resonated with me.  It’s from A Shelter from the Storm.  My husband gave it to me last month for my birthday.  We have needed shelter lately.  My parents have been having health issues.  I’m an only child so Todd and I are their main support.  I won’t bore you with the details, suffice it to say, it’s been a very emotional and difficult spring. 

But here is what I read today.  “If you bemoan your fate and feel that God has let you down, you simply join the mass choir that sings a song of woe about the unfairness of life.  And you only succeed in creating more misery and despair.”

If you know me at all, you know the very last thing I want to do is create misery or despair.  I much prefer to create smiles and encouragement.  And God provides a way to do that.  The author points out, “If the Eternal Spirit of the living Christ lives in you, He will prevent you from sinking into the quicksand of despair.  …Then you will be able to live creatively and courageously.” 

That reminded me of a worship time at a Women of Faith conference I attended.  A praise team of four ladies led about 12,000 of us in worship in a large arena.  As we raised our voices together, it was one of those times the song seemed to blow right through the roof and surely go directly to God’s ears.  And then, one of the worship leaders began to sing a harmony part instead of the lead.  That one woman, in a strong, beautiful voice sang her part, while all of the rest of us sang something else.  To me, it was jaw-dropping.  Singing is not one of the talents God blessed me with.  (All my friends are chuckling.)  Physically, I could never sing a part when everyone about me sang something else. 

But spiritually, I hope to do just that.  I have no intention of singing in a choir that spreads misery and despair.  I will sing against those masses in a voice of hope.  And Romans 5:8 says that hope does not disappoint us! 

Thank you God that you put your Holy Spirit inside us.  Thank you that He give us power to live in a way that pleases you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment