UNORTHODOX: not conforming to rules, traditions or modes of conduct REVOLUTIONARY: sudden, complete or marked change

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Gratitude Challenge

 I recently finished One Thousand Gifts A Dare toLIVE FULLY Right Where You Are by Ann Voskamp.  I picked it up because I felt like I was in a place where God was stretching me. Something that could help me live exactly where was interested me.  It is a book I’m sure I will read again.  I think it has much to teach me or anyone else interested in a deeper relationship with God. 

A friend challenged Voskamp to list 1,000 things for which she was grateful.  She started and hasn’t stopped counting since.  You can learn more at her blog www.aholyexperience.com

A theme of the book is “eucharisteo”.  Luke 22:19 says “And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them…”  Eucharisteo means to give thanks.  “Eucharisteo, thanksgiving, envelopes the Greek word for grace, charis.  But it also holds its derivative, the Greek word chara, meaning ‘joy’.” 

The very short version is that thanksgiving leads to understanding that all is grace which leads to joy. 

To give thanks for everything, the good and the difficult is to recognize that everything comes from God’s hand.  It is to acknowledge that He sees the whole picture, knows the whole story…and that we don’t. 

To give thanks is to open our hearts to relationship with God instead of refusing Him.  

I am thankful for my parents who gave me so much, including a solid foundation in this life.  I’m thankful for my husband who is the best gift God ever gave me.

That's the start of my list…how about yours?

This author has no affiliation with Ann Voskamp

No comments:

Post a Comment